Zion Lutheran Church Celebrates 200 Years
Contributed by past and present members of the Zion Lutheran Church
Part II
Sometime during the period of 1847 and 1850, our church began to be known as the English Lutheran Church. We suspect because it had become fashionable to forsake one’s old country language and speak only English. However, some adhering to the custom of the “hard headed German” formed the German Lutheran Church and were permitted to meet in the English Church. This happy and peaceful arrangement continued until 1878 when the German faction constructed their own church on the corner of Third and South streets. This congregation went out of existence in 1917. It is suspected the anti-German feelings of the First World War had something to do with their demise. The old German Church still stands in a much-remodeled condition at Third and South Streets, and was utilized by several denominations through the years.
Between 1891-94, a new church building was planned and enough money was donated and pledged to ensure this would happen. It has been reported the women of the church were mainly responsible for this new vision and would not permit their dream of a new church to go unfulfilled. It is not entirely clear what reasoning prompted the desire for a new building after only forty-seven years of use of the old, but evidently the ladies would not be denied. Hence the destruction of the old, and the laying of the cornerstone of our present building on August 5, 1894. During the construction period, services were held in the City Hall, but on the day of laying the cornerstone, the Methodist Church generously offered their facility for the special service. Dr. S.A. Ort, then president of Wittenberg University, preached as did several Lutheran pastors from surrounding parishes. Rev. Roselle of the Methodist Church also assisted. The kindness of the Methodist folks on this occasion indicates a spirit of mutual love and cooperation that exists to this day.
On May 5, 1895 the new church building was dedicated. It was a short time after this that the name of the church was changed from The English Lutheran Church to Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church. The capstone over the entrance to our church still reflects the “English Church” name as it was originally installed when the building was constructed.
T.C. Leonard and family, on Easter Sunday, 1895 gave the bell currently ringing in our belfry to the church. There is an inscription on the bell testifying to this fact. The bell was cast in bronze by a Cincinnati foundry.
During 1906, the church was remodeled to include the upstairs Sunday school rooms. This same year the church was instrumental in establishing the Feghtly Home for Women, presenting the home to the Ohio Synod. The Feghtly Home, located on Main Street of Tippecanoe, provided sanctuary for many ladies over the years, and was disbanded by the Synod in the mid-sixties after it proved no longer viable. Also, 1906 saw the establishment of a Sunday School Library loaning books to the children of the community for many years. All the books were eventually given to the local Public Library when it was established.
The then vacant lot on the northwest corner of Third and Main was purchased in 1916 from the heirs of the John Kantz estate for five thousand dollars. At the time of purchase a fine house, the home of the Kantz family was moved to a location on North Third Street where it still stands. The acquisition of the Kantz property proved most valuable in establishing Zion’s prominence in the city. The clearing away of the Kantz house opened the corner to an unobstructed view of the church, and afforded the opportunity for landscaping and the installation of the church sign.
The parsonage built in 1862 on the southwest corner of Third and Main Streets was moved in 1920 to a location just behind the Kantz lot on Third Street. The corner lot, which it occupied, was then sold to the Standard Oil Company. Standard Oil constructed a service station there, which remained until it was sold to the Methodist Church. The property now serves as their church parking lot. The parsonage, known as “The Parish House,” was well utilized for church offices and meeting rooms. This fine old building was used as the parsonage until 1968.
In 1954 a “Building Council” was formed at Zion to investigate and make recommendations for updating the church building. They concluded an improved sanctuary, additional Sunday school space and improved social and recreational space were required if Zion were to continue to prosper.
All Saints Day of November 1, 1964 saw a rededication service in a new modernized sanctuary complete with new pews, altar, choir loft and a modern Allen electronic organ. The sanctuary of today remains much as it was on the day of rededication.
The research work done in preparation for our one hundred and fiftieth year in 1976 brought to light the fact that the old cemetery on South Hyatt Street, was no longer a part of the life of our church. Sadly, this was true even though it was the final resting place of many of the founders and early members. Investigation proved the gravestones had been vandalized and the location of our first church building was being utilized for growing budded fruit trees. The remaining property was grown up in a tangle of trees and brush. A Cemetery Restoration Committee was formed and work began to reclaim the property and bring it into the province of our congregation. In 1978, a large stainless-steel cross was installed thus permanently marking the location of the little log church where our history began. In 1990, a stone wall, eighty-five feet long, was constructed behind the cross. The many broken and vandalized head stones were incorporated in the wall as a means of preserving them. The precious place of our beginnings is now and forever rightfully back in the mainstream of our church.
In July of 2003, two additional properties were purchased on 4th and Walnut Streets. Houses on the newly acquired properties were demolished and the church offices were moved to 18 N. 4th Street in anticipation of the building construction and new parking lot. A ceremonial groundbreaking for the new addition was held on March 5th, 2006. Actual work began on March 6th. The dedication service for the new addition was held on December 10th. The large fellowship hall and parking lot are utilized by the community as well as Zion Lutheran Church.
Celebrations of their milestone anniversary will be held throughout 2026.
Interested in becoming a Site Sponsor? Your ad will run at the bottom of EVERY NEWS STORY. Click HERE for more details.
