Home Tipp City News Juveniles Remain In Detention Center
Juveniles Remain In Detention Center PDF Print E-mail
Written by Nancy Bowman   
Wednesday, 27 February 2013 00:00

Two Tipp City schools students remain in the West Central Juvenile Detention Center, accused of making written threats at the middle and high schools.
A 14-year-old middle school student and a 15-year-old high school student were arrested Feb. 20 and charged with inducing panic, disorderly conduct and aggravated menacing.
The 14 year old is accused of writing a threatening note on a cafeteria table during study hall on Feb. 19. The note was found the morning of Feb. 20. The 15 year old is accused of writing the first threat, found on a piece of toilet paper Feb. 13 in a high school boys’ restroom
Three other messages found Feb. 14 and 15 written in high school restrooms and Feb. 19 in a middle school restroom continue to be investigated by Tipp City police.
Superintendent John Kronour and Detective Sgt. Chris Graham said they believe one to three other people were involved in writing the other notes.
The investigation continues and Graham urged anyone with information to contact police. A $1,000 reward continues to be offered.
The threats led to heightened security at the schools including the use of dogs to search buildings and check student backpacks and other possessions. Police also were in schools more often.
The two accused boys made initial appearances Feb. 21 before Judge W. McGregor Dixon Jr. in Miami County Juvenile Court. The judge entered denials of the charges on behalf of both boys, who had not yet talked with lawyers.
Adjudication hearings are being scheduled in the juvenile court.
The parents of both boys asked Dixon to release them on house arrest.
The 14 year old’s mother sat with her head in her hands as she waited for the hearing.
His father asked the judge to release him. “He is a good kid. He doesn’t act out like that,” he said.
The 15 year old’s mother said he had been on house arrest since being accused and had not caused any problems. “He should be able to go home with me,” she said.
Prosecutors asked the judge to keep the boys in detention pending trial, saying they posed a risk to themselves and the community.
Dixon ordered the boys continued holding at the juvenile facility located north of Troy, saying their release would be “contrary to your welfare and the community’s welfare.”
He explained to both that the inducing panic charge would be a felony in adult court. Conviction on that charge would carry a minimum of one year and incarceration up to age 21 in the Ohio Department of Youth Services.
Dixon also ordered the boys to have no communication with each other and to stay off Tipp City schools’ property if they are released.

Comments (0)

 
Joomla templates by a4joomla